While setting up a business online, people often get confused between the domain name and hosting. A domain name is the name of your website whereas web hosting is the space where your website is hosted on the internet. It is very important to know the difference between the two before creating a website on the internet. Let’s discuss a few points to help understand the difference between domain name and web hosting.
Difference between domain name and web hosting
- To put this simply, a domain name is the address of your house whereas web hosting is the space where you are building that house.
- In other words, a domain name is the address of your website on the internet. It gives a name to your site or your URL on the internet. A domain name is a combination of words and numbers that are linked to a domain extension such as .com or .net.
- A domain name has to be registered with a domain name registrar like BigRock. Once you register a domain name with a registrar, you have the sole ownership and rights to the name of that site.
- The cost of a domain name usually ranges from $10 to hundreds and to millions depending on the domain extension your choose for your business. There are a variety of domain extensions available such as .com, .net, .co, .biz etc which can be used depending on what suits best for your business.
- Web hosting, on the other hand, refers to the web servers that store a lot of data. After you purchase a domain name, in order for your website to appear on the internet, the files and data need to be uploaded onto a server. These servers are hosted and provided on the internet by a web hosting provider.
- A web hosting provider usually provides web servers and network connections to the users either on a monthly or yearly basis. The cost of hosting a website ranges from $10 to $50 per month depending on the type of server, space and bandwidth you require for your business.
- Different web hosting providers offer various hosting plans to suit the different business needs. The most common web hosting plans include single domain hosting, multiple domain hosting, shared hosting, VPS hosting and dedicated hosting. Other types include cloud hosting, WordPress hosting etc.
- Single domain hosting allows users to host a single domain or website on a single account whereas multiple domain hosting allows you to host multiple domain names or websites under a single user account.
- Under shared hosting, your website is hosted on a server along with other websites that run independently. Dedicated hosting implies that you are renting a physical server from a hosting company and a virtual private server is a combination of shared and dedicated hosting.
- Just by having a domain name, you cannot present your website to the user. You need a domain name and web server to host your website.Domain names and web hosting can be purchased from various providers, however, it is more convenient and reliable to buy the domain and host your website with the same provider.
- A web hosting provider rents out web servers and network connections to end-users. You can store your website’s content, images, videos, code, etc. on a web hosting server that is connected to the internet. Your visitors can then access this content by typing in your domain name in their browser.
I hope, you got an idea about the difference between domain name and web hosting. Comment below if you want to know more about domain name and web hosting.