The first thing that comes to your mind when you think about taking your business online is the name of your website. This name is referred to as the ‘domain’. We happen to use this word very often, but now let’s see what is a Domain?
What is a Domain Name?
- A domain name is an address where internet users can access your website. It is used for finding computers on the internet.
- A computer uses an IP address, which is a series of numbers. However, it is difficult for a person to remember a string of names. This is why domain names were developed and used to identify websites on the internet.
- A domain name needs to be registered before you can use it. Every domain name is different which is if someone types www.yourwebsite.com, it will direct the user to your website and nowhere else.
- A domain name is a structured label that is connected to a specific IP address.
Here’s what we mean by ‘structured label’
.com- Domain extension
/12344-76-tree-cookies-christmas – location of specific post
https://cookies.com/food/12344-76-tree-cookies-christmas – URL
Image Source: http://bit.ly/2xiFdgo
- A domain name is a combination of numbers and letters which is followed by various domain name extensions like .com, .net, .co, and more. All domain extensions are under the jurisdiction of ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). On the other hand, you can choose your domain name and register is with a domain name registry like BigRock.
- Now that you know the different parts of a domain and that it consists of 2 parts; the name and the TLD suffix, there is something called a ‘subdomain’. If you own lovelife.cookies.com, ‘.com’ will be the TLD, ‘cookies’ is the level 2 domain name and ‘lovelife’ is the subdomain of the ‘cookies’ domain.
- Now that ya’ll know what a domain name is, let’s see what DNS means. DNS stands for Domain Name System.
- Basically, this works as a phonebook to connect IP addresses with their corresponding domain names. Once the domain names are connected to their IP addresses, the website opens.